Recipe: Lemon Greek Yogurt Pancakes
These pancakes are soft and fluffy with a delightful hint of lemon. As an added bonus, they are low in calories and sugar and packed with calcium! Make a batch of these on the weekend and individually wrap each pancake so they can be reheated in the toaster or microwave for grab-and-go breakfasts during the week (or have one for a snack!). They freeze well and can keep up to 1 month in the freezer or 1 week in the refrigerator. This recipe will serve 2-3 people. If you are used to a heartier breakfast, add protein on the side such as extra Greek yogurt or an egg.
Yield: 7 pancakes Prep Time: 20 min Total Time: 50 min
- Blender or food processor (if making oat flour from scratch)
- Two medium-sized mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Frying pan or griddle
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour, spooned and levelled*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Spray oil (or butter or vegetable oil) for frying
* If making oat flour from scratch you will need at least 2 cups of large flake oats.
- To make the oat flour, add a few cups of large flake oats to a blender or food processor and blend until you get a fine powder.
Tip: After measuring out what you need, store the excess oat flour in a tightly sealed container for later use. Alternatively, you can buy Bob's Red Mill oat flour in the grocery store.
- Sift the oat flour through a sieve into a medium-sized mixing bowl then add baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk until well combined.
Crack the egg into a separate medium-sized bowl and whisk. Add the almond milk, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and lemon zest and keep whisking until well incorporated.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. With a wooden spoon or spatula, mix the batter until the flour is no longer visible but avoid over mixing - don’t worry if there’s still lumps! Allow your batter to sit for 10 min. It will be thick (as pictured below).
Tip: Alternatively you could whirl the wet and dry ingredients together in a blender for a few seconds until smooth.
Spray a pan or griddle with oil. Warm up your pan on medium heat (adjusting as needed) then pour 1/3 cup of batter onto the hot pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes - watching for the sides of the pancake to darken and curl up off the pan. When ready, flip and cook another 2 minutes or so until each side is lightly browned.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes (no toppings)
- Calories: 235 calories
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrate: 33.5 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Protein: 12.5 g
For a healthy and tasty topping to your pancakes, try a spoonful of one of the following:
- Lemon meringue flavoured Greek yogurt
- Vegan coconut milk 'yogurt' + a sprinkle of lemon zest
- Fresh strawberries + a drizzle of honey
- Macerated blueberries + mint