Recipe: Sweet n' Spicy Summer Bean Salad
Servings: 7 Prep Time: 15 min Total Time: 15 min
This vegan Southwestern-inspired bean salad is a great meal prep recipe for healthy lunches during the work week, or even a weekend picnic or BBQ. Serve it as a side dish too if you'd like - it would pair nicely with grilled salmon or veggie burgers. This meal is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium, fibre and protein.
- 1 can mixed beans (540 mL)
- 1 can black beans (540 mL)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (341 mL)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Ataulfo mango, diced* (yields ~ 1 cup cubes)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely diced
- 1 lime, juiced (yields ~ 2 Tbsp juice)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
* Ataulfo mangos are small yellow mangos from Mexico. These mangos are sweet and smooth in texture and easily found in most grocery stores. When shopping, look for a soft mango that gives a little when you squeeze it because this means it is ripe and sweet.
- Can opener
- Chef's knife
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Citrus juicer
- Measuring spoons
- Small bowl
- Mini whisk or fork
1. Drain and rinse the canned beans and corn thoroughly in a colander until no foam remains and water runs clear. Wash all the produce and herbs as well.
2. With a chef's knife, cut out the stem of the bell pepper, cut in half, then remove the seeds and white pieces inside. Slice lengthwise into strips, then dice the strips into small pieces. Click through the photos below for visual steps!
3. To prepare the mango, first cut off a small portion of the bottom so that you can stand the mango on the cutting board. Slice the wide sides off the pit, avoiding cutting through the pit. Repeat on the narrow sides as well. Cut a grid pattern in the wide pieces using just enough pressure to slice through the flesh but not the skin. Invert the mango to pop up all the cubes and run your knife along the skin to remove those cubes. Remove the skin from the two narrow sides as well and dice. Feel free to further cut the cubes into small pieces similar in size to the bell pepper.
4. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, sriracha, cumin, paprika, chili powder, ground coriander, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
5. Add the beans, corn, pepper, mango, parsley and cilantro into the large mixing bowl and pour the dressing over the mixture. Stir all the contents together with a wooden spoon or spatula until every piece is coated in dressing then serve. Tip: for the best flavour, let this salad sit and marinate overnight!
- Serving size: 1 heaping cup
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 570 mg
- Carbohydrate: 54 g
- Fibre: 14 g
- Sugar: 14 g
- Protein: 14 g
Tips for Leftovers:
- Make tortilla soup by adding this bean salad to vegetable broth with canned crushed tomatoes, extra spices, tortilla strips and shredded cheese
- Wrap some bean salad into a whole wheat tortilla with shredded cheese and grill to make a quesadilla
- Serve this bean salad like salsa alongside some whole grain crackers
If you'd like professional help with meal planning and creating healthy recipes, contact us today.