From the Kitchen: Yummy Kale Smoothies (that taste amazing!)
My wife and I were looking to add more vegetables to our day. We already have veggies at lunch and dinner so the only place we could think to fit them was breakfast, but how? Do I start adding carrot sticks to my oatmeal, of course not.
In comes the vegetable smoothies. We decided to start with kale, because we thought it would be the hardest one to get to taste good. We were pleasantly surprised that we were wrong! This kale smoothie recipe was not only easy, it is actually very good on the first try! You mostly taste the peaches and banana, even though the kale-ee green color is all you see.
When getting started with this recipe we first added one teaspoon of agave nectar, but over time we put less and less agave and now we don't put any. It's no big deal to have it, we just wanted to see if we could get used to it, and it really was no problem. Also, I'm a cheapskate so spending less at the grocery store is exciting for me.
The Ingredients for 2 smoothies
- Kale, 5 cups loosely packed
- Cucumber, 1 cup diced
- peach, 2 whole diced
- banana, 1 whole sliced
- agave nectar, 2 teaspoons (optional)
- almond milk (or 1% milk), 1.5 cups
- hemp protein powder, 60 grams
- blender (we use a magic bullet, but you can use what ever you have)
- cutting board
- Switch the peaches and banana out for a mix of raspberries and strawberries - this turns the smoothie into a nice bright red colour instead of green
- Try plain non-fat Greek yogurt in place of protein powder, this will make it much richer
- Serve over ice to keep the drink nice and cold
- Keep the kale stems for vegetable soups or compost them for your garden!
- add the peaches, bananas, cucumber to the blender in that order
- remove the leaves from the stems and dice the kale leafs up as finely as you can with your knife, then add to blender
- add the almond milk and blend until smooth, it will likely be a bright green colour
- add in the protein powder and agave nectar, then blend again until well mixed - now the drink turns a bit brownish
- serve and drink immediately