Awesome BBQ Tofu Taco... seriously amazing!
When people see this dish they fall in love with it, when they taste it they love it. When they hear it's tofu they are like 'yuck!', it's the strangest thing to me.
If food taste good then it's good food, right?
The photo post with this recipe is made up of our leftovers. When we first put the dish together it smelled and we jumped right in and food I forgot to actually take a photo! I had to redo everything again for a photo op... it smelled and tasted that good!
Anyhow, if you are feeling like a true foodie or just someone who is looking for a good BBQ recipe try this one on. The recipe is really easy, it takes about 40-60 minutes to slow cook the tofu making it nice and crispy.
Ingredients for two (you will have leftovers though)
- Firm tofu 1 full brick sliced into blocks, make sure they are wide enough to go on your grill
- naan bread, 1 large piece cut in half
- apple BBQ sauce, 1-2 tbsp for brushing -we got ours from a local farmer but you can pick whatever BBQ sauce you like
- red cabbage, 1 cup shredded
- heirloom tomato, 1 diced
- olive oil or other cooking oil, for brushing the grill
- Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp
- lime juice, 1/2 tsp
- sirracha sauce, 1/2 tsp or to taste (optional)
- Put a clean towel on a plate and put the tofu on it, then put a towel on top and put something heavy on it like a pot. Then go turn on the BBQ while the water drains out of the tofu.
- I suggest that you use indirect heat for this recipe so make the right side medium to high heat and leave the left side of the BBQ off.
- Once the BBQ has had about 5 to 10 minutes to warm up brush the grill on the left side with your cooking oil so the tofu doesn't stick to the grill. Then put the tofu on and close the lid.
- Flip the tofu every 10-15 minutes until it is browned and a bit crispy on the outside about 40-45 minutes.
- While the tofu is cooking make the sauce by mixing the Greek yogurt, lime juice, and sirracha in a bowl and stirring until well combined.
- Brush the tofu with BBQ sauce when there is about 5 more minutes left of cooking.
- Take off the grill and cut the strips into cubes.
To assemble put about 1 tbsp of sauce in the centre of the naan bread, add tofu, cabbage, and tomato then serve with a side salad.
Want to see some salad recipes? Stay tuned!
- Make the sauce in advance and keep it in the fridge, it's also good on burgers or in a sandwich
- Try adding in fresh basil or cilantro for a punch of flavour
- You can use a Mrs Dash spice mix as a dry rub in place of a BBQ sauce
- You can also use pita or tortillas but naan is the best for this recipe